History of Squier & Company
Squier & Co., circa 1890-1910.
Click to enlarge the image.
Founded in 1874 shortly after the Civil War by Arba Squier Jr. at its present location on Squier Ave in
downtown Monson, Squier has been in continuous operation for 132 years. Originally selling lumber, coal and grain,
Squier & Co. was transferred from Arba to his son Westly, and then to Westly's son Robert.
The oldest building here is next to the present office building and is post and beam with trees squared on only
two sides acting as floor joists. A number of years ago a wooden shallow well pump was found over one of the
large beams on the second floor. The pump still has its leather packing, blue paint and stenciling. It is
about eight feet tall and now sits in our main office.
Our present office building next to the above described building was constructed by Arba Squier in 1884. Arba
bought and moved the vestry building of the Congregational Church on Fountain Street to the site of Squier &
Company Grain Mill at its present location on Squier Ave. This vestry building on Fountain Street was erected
by Elias Carter in 1831-1832 at a cost of about $1500.00.
In 1947 Robert Squier sold SQUIER & COMPANY to Frank and Thomas Haley. Frank's family has operated the
business up to the present day.
Main Home Page |
Squier Oil Home Page |
Squier Lumber Home Page |
Budget Plan |
No Heat |
Contact- Oil |
Contact- Lumber |
© Copyright 2013 Squier & Co., Inc.
All rights reserved in all media.
A Xanatos Site